Created in 2019, the BR 05 is a derivative of the BR 03, Bell & Ross’ watchmaking icon. It uses its general shape, the famous round within the square, inspired by a cockpit instrument. This successful watch forsakes pilots and tarmacs a little to move closer to a more urban universe.
The new BR 05 Artline is a variation of the BR 05. It adopts its general shape and in particular its integrated bracelet.
It is called Artline, a term that sums up its concept well. “This name indicates that it incorporates an artistic dimension (art) in its design (line). When you look at it, you immediately think of the American style of the Stream-Line”, explains Bruno Belamich, co-founder of Bell & Ross.
It is a trend in industrial design from the 1930s, with very fluid lines inspired by speed and aerodynamics.
The Franco-Swiss watchmaker has always had a passion for military instrumentation. In general, Bell & Ross watches follow a rather stripped-down design that goes down to the essentials. This BR 05 Artline, on the contrary, dares to dress up, something quite unusual at Bell & Ross. “We wanted to launch a watch that is dressed, decorated. The BR 05 had potential. Its case indeed offers a vast surface to decorate”, says Bruno Belamich. The brand chooses to move towards relief engraving or gadroon. This type of graphic and slender ornament is associated with traditional know-how, craftsmanship and luxury. This finish subtly adorns the bezel of the BR 05 Artline. The bezel with rounded corners, made in one single piece, is fixed to the case by means of four screws. Its gadroon decoration also adorns the central links of the bracelet so bringing a rare elegance to these elements.
An ornate watch, the BR 05 Artline is a unique Bell & Ross model. “Several references were running through my head while creating this piece”, recalls Bruno Belamich, Creative Director of the brand. “The first of these concerns air travel.”
Its folded metal casing recalls two inspirations:
– Aero style: the first transport planes of the 1940s were indeed known for their corrugated aluminium fuselage.
This technique was used for its lightness and resistance to deformation.
– Urban style: aluminium is widely used in architecture. This alloy covers the facades of state-of-the-art buildings.Many towers in La Défense have a metal facing. Interior decoration also takes advantage of this material,which adorns avant-garde lighting and furnishings.
The BR 05 Artline features certain character traits typical of Bell & Ross watches.
– the hands and indexes are coated with photo-luminescent superluminova. This material ensures maximum readability day and night.
– the display numerals give way to baton indexes, just doubled at 12 o’clock. This sleek and modern exterior brings great distinction to the dial.
– the date window is positioned at 3 o’clock. This practical function is much thought after by the brand’s clients.
– the dial is adorned with a sunburst ruthenium grey. This elegant shade, never before used on a BR 05, is the result of metallisation. This colour contrasts with the steel of the 40 mm case and clearly makes the dial stand out. This watch is powered by the in-house self-winding BR-CAL 321 calibre. The sapphire caseback allows you to contemplate the oscillating weight, the design of which is reminiscent of a sports car rim.
This Artline series is destined to become a collection in its own right at Bell & Ross. In the future, it will welcome other references within it.
The new BR 05 Artline is a limited edition of 250 pieces and is exclusively on sale in Bell & Ross boutiques.